Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Journey Begins September 1

Welcome
I created this blog for a course that I am taking (not for credit) entitled the "Online Teaching Certificate" class. I believe it is a form of MOOC - Massive Open Online Course. I've just recently heard about these and am pretty sure I found out about this particular course through Twitter, either directly or indirectly.

As the Agency Training Resource Coordinator for a state agency, my primary training role is coordination. However, I am trying to figure out the best way to provide an orientation to employees with a specific work title. I believe the lecture format is ineffective and these employees need safe opportunities to apply policies and practice making decisions that they will  need to make on the job.

The format of this course is quite appealing and I hope to not only learn a lot about teaching online courses but also to determine if this format is right for my audience.

Diigo
We're using Diigo for the course. It's a social bookmarking site like Delicious. I love Delicious but am curious to learn about Diigo and how it's different. I didn't have any problems creating an account. I joined the class group and everything looks A-ok!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle - will be interesting to hear about the fit between the online format and the needs of the employees. I believe some kinds of virtual world experience (using Second Life or similar)have sometimes been successful for the type of situations you mention - wonder if that is something worth investigating.

    ReplyDelete